Magic Castle - Comments feedback
January 06, 2021, at 03:30 AM (66 comments)
Title: Magic Castle - Comments feedback Author: mgarcia Date: 2021-01-06 13:30 +1100 Tags: Images Comments: Open
Magic Castle - Comments and feedback page
Translation updates and credits posted here: http://netyaroze-europe.com/Media/Magic-Castle-Translations
66 comments on "Magic Castle - Comments feedback"
- qobol: 2020-03-23 00:45 +1100 It's so sad how the project was cancelled after all the effort they put into it, but it's good to know they're still active game designers after all. Thanks for sharing your memories.
- Jeremy: 2020-07-01 19:39 +0200 Hi there, and sorry about contacting you this way. I was doing some research about the Net Yaroze and stumbled across the wikipedia article. It states that a standard playstation disk was made containing a selection of Net Yaroze games. It was made by SCEE and sent to PAL region Net Yaroze owners. I heard about the free demo disks in magazines but I haven't heard of these. Do you know anything about them? If so, would you be kind enough to answer me. I'll try and pop by the comments section here once in a while to see if you have. Anyways, many thanks in advance.
- qobol: 2020-07-03 14:17 +0200 There is a promotional disc with the product code SLED-01340. This may be the one you're looking for.
- Jeremy: 2020-07-03 17:40 +0200 Hey qobol, I've found a rom dump of the disc. Thanks a lot for the help.
- PIROWO: 2020-10-30 15:12 +0100 Here's the latest version of the video!
- John: 2021-01-02 19:40 +0100 Since the game is free, is it possible to see the source code? I'm a hobbyist that really loves to see those stuff.
- Retro_Fan: 2021-01-02 23:37 +0100 Thank you so much for releasing this! The game is awesome!
As John in the comments already said, it would be really useful for hobbyists (and for preservation purposes) to have access to the source code as well. Please consider this.
- Patrick: 2021-01-03 13:57 +0100 I am also interested in the source code : )
- Panacea: 2021-01-03 14:57 +0100 Hello! I was playing Magic Castle yesterday and found a bug. Not sure if it was because I got 2 items in a row or another reason. I couldn't rotate the items wheel anymore, so the only way to use new items was right after getting one https://clips.twitch.tv/SuspiciousSquareSnailMau5
Also, I have some feedback to give. Should I post here, twitter or email?
- mgarcia: 2021-01-04 02:30 +0100 Thanks for the comments and feed back! : )
Regarding the source code, unfortunately it's not ours to release that would be something you'd need to ask @SG_matsu and/or @PIROWO directly via twitter.
@Panacea, cool thanks for that!
I would prefer all feedback and comments posted on archive.org or here (there's no limits on comment size) :)
- KoroAkechi: 2021-01-04 16:05 +0100 Has anyone made a psp Eboot of this? It'd be nice to play it on my psp without the extra step of an emulator.
- Bombshelboy: 2021-01-04 16:10 +0100 Excited to try this...I would have totally bought this game if it ever came out. For that matter, if you ever release a PC version on Steam or something like that, I'd buy it in a heartbeat
- HBG: 2021-01-04 16:32 +0100 That will be a very nice experience! in 2021 I can play a new game on PS1! Thank you!
- Jake: 2021-01-04 16:50 +0100 In retropie it just stuck at Start screen
- Jake: 2021-01-04 16:52 +0100 Could you play on retropie?
- Qobol: 2021-01-04 18:25 +0100 Thanks @Panacea, I had never seen that. I've tried to reproduce the bug but the equip menu didn't crash. If you're using an emulator and it happens again, a savestate might help us.
@KoroAkechi. I've seen the game running on a PSVita https://youtu.be/jrBfG8Of9aM
I'm not sure if that same file would work on psp.
@Jake. We haven't tested the game on Retropie. I think it uses a modified version of PCSX. In that case, a PS1 bios might be required instead of the hle bios.
- KoroAkechi: 2021-01-04 18:35 +0100 Thanks for the video link @Qobol!
- Panacea: 2021-01-04 19:37 +0100 Thanks for the answer! I'll be playing it for a while, so I'll come back to comment when I find more stuff.
These are things that I think that could improve that game:
-Make clones enemies wait a bit before appearing. Melee characters can get punished by killing an enemy and having another one appearing close to them
-Make key invincible when appearing, so you don't automatically go to the next floor by killing an enemy with multi-hitting moves
-Raise a little bit the value of rarer coins, as 3 platinum coins aren't even enough to buy the cheapest item from the shop
-Make the hitbox for the shop smaller, so you can fight enemies without opening the store for every attack.
And things that I think could improve the game, but may change the experience devs intended:
-Make coins slowly go towards the player or stay in place, so it's easier to pick them
-Make clone enemies slight weaker than the original (less damage and hp), skeleton rooms are a problem to deal with because they are always following the player, never stop appearing and red skeletons have a lot of HP. (You can deal with these rooms using scrolls, this change would make easier to deal with these rooms without scrolls, but it's hard mode so it's okay to be hard)
- Donkhan: 2021-01-04 20:22 +0100 Hi!
Someone knew if can b'played in PSP?
- kevums: 2021-01-04 20:36 +0100 PS3 CECHA01 reporting! Works/plays OK so far, analog support!
- KingLich: 2021-01-04 20:48 +0100 Congratulations to you!
- Hidro: 2021-01-04 21:00 +0100 Can I help you with Italian translation?
How can I contact you?
- Twitch: 2021-01-04 22:06 +0100 Is the game in Japanese or is there an English translated version?
- Panacea: 2021-01-04 23:04 +0100 @Twitch it's english only for now
- FedePG: 2021-01-04 23:28 +0100 Does this game have an ending?
- mgarcia: 2021-01-05 04:30 +0100 @Panacea, thanks for the great feedback.
@FedePG, Characters have endings and unlockables, the game... hmmm I don't know sorry.
@Hidro, There's a great Spanish (and English) translation, Japanese is WIP, I don't know how many language MC can support, but I don't think adding more should be a problem, it's probably something that should be crowd sourced though, so check back in a few days.
- Frankcis: 2021-01-05 04:55 +0100 I love your work, i'm testing an EBOOT.PBP file i made from your iso on my PSP FAT, there are 2 main things which are messing things up.
1: It might be hard, but i need an id for the game, (like SLPS-00587) i tried to come up with a code searching for the most approximate from alphabetical id's but no results. I'm still figuring out what to do, it only displays "damaged data"
2: I can't get PSX2PSP to compress it, so it's heavier than any psp game ever.
If you can help me with one or none it's ok, as i said, i absolutely love your work , i'll try to do mine the best.
- Jeff Sousa @lordeilluminati: 2021-01-05 05:05 +0100 I think it is really cool a new game for the PlayStation for quite a while and it looks pretty fun, my advice is that I am seeing that select and start key combo go back to the menu and on some emulators, especially using Retroarch, it is used to bring the emulator menu if you are using a controller. It would be cool if it could be changed to another button combination. You can change it to something else, yes, but start and select together are rarely used in games and is an easy way to bring the emulator menu. Start Select L1 L2 R1 R2 is supposed to be a good option but it is used in many games like ones made by Square, or all face buttons are used in fighting games...
- Panacea: 2021-01-05 06:38 +0100 I found another glitch. Not sure if the level up was related or just specific position.
And I also want to congratulate you for the amazing UI! It's nice to be able to quickly use a potion you just found or easily equip items!
- tthousand: 2021-01-05 08:42 +0100 Thank you Kaiga! Congratulations on releasing your game! I have tried various method of playing the game, and I have shared my results below. I hope this helps. Feel free to ask questions I will try to respond.
- DuckStation (PS1 emulator): Working!
- XEBRA (PS1 emulator): Working!
- PCSX2 (PS2 emulator): boots, but has graphical errors.
- RPCS3 (PS3 emulator): converted to EBOOT.PBP then converted to PKG. Working!
- PPSSPP (PSP emulator): converted to EBOOT.PBP. PPSSPP does not support PS1 games.
- PS Vita 1000 using Adrenaline: converted to EBOOT.PBP. Does not boot.
- PS Vita 1000 using RetroArch: Working!
- Дмитро Борода: 2021-01-05 11:44 +0100 Щиро вас вітаю з релізом!
Всіх вам благ, і чекаю ваші нові ігри у 2042му році!
- Jake: 2021-01-05 13:06 +0100 Hi its me again I will try to make it work on retropie but I just want to say it works like charm on epsxe with hle bios.
- Jake: 2021-01-05 14:52 +0100 @Qobol Yes you were right! with scph1001.bin it works on retropie too without any problems. Just send the bin file to \\retropie\bios folder! thanks again for such a great game! and I won't pass without saying the ability to change place of health bar is a really good idea! Have a nice day!
- Neto: 2021-01-05 18:08 +0100 sensational!! 20 years later and we have this wonderful game .. Psone the best of games! s2
- Clément: 2021-01-05 20:13 +0100 I try to play this on retroarch (on a retroid pocket2), it looks to run perfectly but I can't input any command, so I can't even start the game, any idea how to make it work=
- Qobol: 2021-01-05 20:58 +0100 Thanks to all the people who are testing the game in different systems and sharing the results. We need to gather all the info and put it together for future reference.
@Panacea. Hard difficulty is meant to be very hard but maybe we can improve the key and shop collision. At least that glitch didn't corrupt the game like the previous one. Those are very hard to reproduce and debug.
@Hidro. The program can't display accents or special characters like Ç or Ñ. That's why French and Portuguese translations are unlikely to happen. In Spanish, uppercase letters without accents are acceptable. If it's fine to write Italian without accents we could add that translation.
@Jeff Sousa. I've never used retroarch, but I've read that button combination can be customized in the emulator configuration.
And for those trying to run the game on systems I can't test, sorry but I can't think of anything else. We'll have to wait until someone else shares a solution.
- The Opponent: 2021-01-05 21:39 +0100 I can't get this game to boot on real PlayStation SCPH-5501 with MODE.
- Filipe cruz: 2021-01-05 22:44 +0100 Olha o Brasil aqui pessoal parabéns
- Filipe cruz: 2021-01-06 00:39 +0100 Como funciona o salve caso morra volta do niv 1 msm?
- Hidro: 2021-01-06 01:14 +0100 @Qobol. There's no need to use special letters for Italian. I'm already working on the Italian translation on my own, I really want to make it happen. I am using a hex editor (Translhextion 16c) to edit the texts found in the BIN file, and it works! I can send you some screenshots! However, it is more difficult not having the source code, or other ways to work easily on it.
If I can help you with the translation in any way, I'm available! Can I give you my email?
- The Opponent: 2021-01-06 03:32 +0100 I have been told that removing every track after the first one in the cuesheet allows it to run in MODE, but there's no music except in-game.
Would it be possible to give the key some invincibility after it spawns? I keep hitting it by accident when it happens to come out of a thick mob.
I also found that the demo sequence has no programming and the character in it can be controlled by the player. It will cause the game to crash if the character dies.
- Panacea: 2021-01-06 13:25 +0100 @Filipe cruz
Você salva para gravar as configurações, modos habilitados e pontuações. As próximas versões podem ter mais motivos para salvar
- Clément: 2021-01-06 14:06 +0100 @tthousand:
don't you have any issue with the command on retroarch, that's really weird for me because the other game i tried (THPS2) on the same console (retroidpocket2) and same configuration, the controls works perfectly.
- Qobol: 2021-01-06 18:18 +0100 @Hidro. Please, if you're going to post your email address, encode it using this online tool to prevent spam: https://www.base64encode.org
I will remove it then.
I'll see what can be done to prevent hitting the key right after it's been produced.
- Hidro: 2021-01-06 21:37 +0100 @qobol
Thank you! Done!
- tthousand: 2021-01-06 23:39 +0100 @Clément
I did not have any issues with the controls, except that the analog stick was disabled by default on the version of RetroArch for Vita that I was using. I was easily able to go into RetroArch's setting and enable the analog stick. Also, it is worth mentioning that I am using the latest nightly build of RetroArch.
- qobol: 2021-01-07 00:24 +0100 @Hidro. Thanks I have sent the file.
If anybody thinks the game could be translated to French or Portuguese without using the Ç character we could try adding more languages. We could use alternate words.
I've written a workaround to avoid hitting the key the moment it's dropped. Now I'm testing how long should it be disabled. Maybe 2 seconds, or 1.5?
- mgarcia: 2021-01-07 02:12 +0100 @Jeff Sousa and Retroarch users.
Sorry but the "Start and Select" combination probably wont change.
That combination is used a lot in Net Yaroze games/demos and I *think* some OPSM disc demo's also use that combination, but I'm not 100% on that, but I wouldn't be surprised. I'm not sure as to it's origin to be honest, but it predates Net Yaroze, at least from a SCEE NY point of view.
- Clément: 2021-01-07 10:09 +0100 Anybody else have issue with retroarch? or is it only me : )
I tried to switch some conrols but it doesn't seems to work.
For retroarch users, what core do you use?
- aT: 2021-01-07 12:26 +0100 Will the source code be released?
- Panacea: 2021-01-07 14:41 +0100 Is it just me or some commands don't work?
I can't move the camera with the right stick (fairy+semi-manual), it works with L1 and R1 during fairy birdview.
The reset combination (Select+L2+R2) also doesn't work.
- Panacea: 2021-01-08 01:57 +0100 Today I got every task and (I believe) every item! Thank you so much for making such an awesome game!
I'll still stream to beat the game with other character and do the bonus modes
- qobol: 2021-01-08 14:33 +0100 @Panacea. That's great. The game wasn't that hard after all. I don't know what system you're playing on but we performed a few tests on different consoles and emulators and those key combinations worked fine. I'm sorry, we can't test the game on many of the systems people are trying to play the game.
- Panacea: 2021-01-08 20:09 +0100 @qobol It's okay!
I'm playing on epsxe, I'll try another emulator to see if the problem continues
- RicardoBonfim: 2021-01-09 12:45 +0100 Hello @qobol, I'm really interested in translating Magic Castle into Portuguese, if I can help in any way, please contact me.
my email: (deleted)
- qobol: 2021-01-09 17:23 +0100 @Panacea. I've tested the game on epsxe using a psx to usb adapter. Remember you have to turn analog mode on pressing F5 if you're using the default plugin.
@RicardoBonfim. I've sent you an email.
- Panacea: 2021-01-10 21:00 +0100 @qobol Thank you! Turning the analog on fixed it and changing a config with the gamepad fixed the reset command!
- UltraStars3000: 2021-01-13 01:10 +0100 Hello @qobol !
I've been really interested in this project and would like to help for a possible French translation.
If I can help in any way, feel free to contact me by email:
(I didn't know if I should have shared my email directly so I used a Base64 encode for it)
- qobol: 2021-01-13 13:45 +0100 @UltraStars3000. Thanks for your help. I've sent you an email.
- Hbg: 2021-01-13 17:03 +0100 I can translate to turkish if you wish : )
You can mail me too
- mgarcia: 2021-01-13 22:35 +0100 @Hbg, thanks I've forwarded to qobol.
- Elsiz: 2021-01-15 15:48 +0100 Do you plan to release the game in physical form?
- crush-zombie: 2021-01-16 05:00 +0100 Sometimes while playing with the Wizard as second player (not sure if that's specific) she'll hit the floor and stay there, making it impossible to proceed. It happened once when the Wizard hit the key, but again when she checked an NPC.
I made a save state: https://www.mediafire.com/file/3al0367ly7kob0k/sstates.7z/file
- qobol: 2021-01-16 16:58 +0100 @Elsiz. That's very unlikely. There's no way we can make a PS1 disc with the required license for running on retail consoles.
@crush-zombie. Thanks. I've seen you can control the wizard again if she gets hit by the bat, but of course, this is not a normal behavior. Can you provide more information? How did she fall into that state, was she hit by an enemy? And while I perform some tests, can you please confirm if this happens using a different emulator?
- crush-zombie: 2021-01-17 03:20 +0100 @qobol - We got the same result on another emulator, too (pSX), and once again it happened after the Wizard (second player) checked a wounded NPC (it may have been the second check). Just checking the NPC put her on the floor (like the knocked out state, but without stars and without recovering).
- qobol: 2021-01-17 19:11 +0100 @crush-zombie. You're absolutely right. The npc archer routine was wrongfully putting the second wizard in a wounded state. It's been fixed for the next version. Thanks for reporting this bug.
Comments are open.